Common Household Plants Toxic to Dogs

Small dog with green potted plant

11 Common Household Plants That Could Be Harmful to Your Dog

Having recently welcomed an adorable puppy into our family, I was shocked to discover just how many plants are toxic to dogs; and how many of them I have around my home!

In my quest to 'puppy-proof' our home, I have put together a list of some of the more common plants harmful to dogs that you may have around your home or garden. This is by no means an exhaustive list, so if you are unsure whether a plant you have may be harmful to your dog, your local garden centre or vet can help you.

Fiddle Leaf Fig

The extremely popular Fiddle Leaf Fig can be harmful to your dog if ingested. This plant can cause skin and gastrointestinal irritation.


There are many varieties of Philodendron . The good news is they are harmless to the touch, however if ingested they are toxic to dogs (and cats). Symptoms of poisoning from this species of plant can include oral irritation, swelling, vomiting, trouble breathing and excessive drooling.

Aloe Vera 

Aloe Vera is a wonderful plant with many medicinal uses for humans, however if ingested by dogs it can cause lethargy, vomiting and gastrointestinal issues.

Peace Lily 

Poisonous to both dogs and cats, the Peace Lily can cause vomiting if ingested.


This brightly coloured plant can cause excessive drooling, vomiting and diarrhea.


Popular in many gardens, this flowering plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea, reduced blood pressure, coma, and can even be life threatening if eaten in large enough quantities.


A favourite for spring gardens, the daffodil bulbs can cause vomiting, diarrhea, arrhythmia and convulsions. This plant can also be fatal if eaten in large enough quantities.


Consumption of Jade can cause vomiting, a slow heart rate, incoordination and depression.

Tomato plants

The fruit of tomato plants is unharmful to dogs, however the plant itself, if consumed, can cause excessive drooling, severe upset stomach, depression, dilated pupils, weakness and slow heart rate.


If ingested, the bulb of a tulip can cause excessive drooling and nausea.

colourful bunch of tulips
Cherry Blossom

The twigs and leaves of the cherry blossom are toxic to dogs.

Reaction can be mild to moderate, and take 15 to 20 minutes to appear after consumption. Signs of poisoning include dilated pupils, difficulty breathing and bright red gums.

If you suspect your pet may have consumed a harmful plant or substance seek medical advice from your vet immediately.

Common signs something might not be right include:

  • Lethargy
  • Weakness
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Excessive Drooling
  • Nausea

What should you do if you have any of these plants? 

If you do have any of the above varieties of plants in your home or garden, don't panic. Remember, the level of toxicity depends on the variety of plant and amount consumed, which will vary from dog to dog (factors such as breed, weight and age will also play a factor).

For indoor varieties of potentially toxic plants you can simply place them out of reach of your dog. Parts of your garden that contain the outdoor varieties can be sectioned off so your pet can't access them.  


    Older Post Newer Post